Old Fortress Corfu Island

The so-called »Fortezza» is the oldest fortress and trademark of the city.With  the destruction of Palaiopolis in the 6th century.Its construction served the vital objective of protecting Corfu,while the additions continued until its final formation in 1558 by the Venetians.Cross its gate (separated from the mainland by the trench of Kontra Fossa),pass through its galleries and corridors and climb to the highest point for a collectible photo having as background the Spianada and the Liston. The former barracks and prisons nowadays have been replaced by Offices of the Ministry of Culture(Byzantine Antiquities department), the Department of Music Studies of the Ionian University and the Archives of the Prefecture of Corfu!

Tip: A stop at the Old Fortress cafe overlooking the neoclassical temple of St. George!Free entrance.Daily 10:00-18:00.(T. +30 26610 42279)

Αφήστε μια απάντηση

Η ηλ. διεύθυνση σας δεν δημοσιεύεται. Τα υποχρεωτικά πεδία σημειώνονται με *

five × two =